[ANSI-Smalltalk] participants' real names

Martin McClure martin.mcclure at gemstone.com
Wed Dec 5 18:34:50 GMT 2007

Bruce Badger wrote:
> On 28/10/2007, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sounds good.  Just as long as the roster displays people's real names in
>> addition to their email addresses I'll be happy :)
>
> I just realised that I did not follow up on this.  I have had a look
> at all the admin options on the mail list server and can not see a way
> to get it to display the real names on the roster, even though the
> server knows what the names are (as admin I can see that).
>
> We are using MailMan version 2.1.5.  Does anyone know if this version
> of MailMan has a hidden option somewhere to show real names on the
> roster?

Although the roster doesn't show real names, I note that the "from"
address of mail from the list does show the real name, and that the
messages in the list archives show the real name.

So although we may not be able to see the real name of everyone
subscribed to the list (though Bruce can), we can see the real name of
anyone who posts. Of course, that is only if they enter their real name
into Mailman. There is at least one case where a poster uses something
as their "real name" that does not immediately appear to be a legal name.

Regards,

-Martin