[ANSI-Smalltalk] Consense driven standard...

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 6 12:48:43 GMT 2007

Consensus works better in small groups than in large, and it works
better when people know each other.

Even so, I do not think that consensus was the big problem with OMG.
The big problem was that they standardized before they implemented.
It is better to implement first, then standardize.  I doubt that we
will adapt any standards before there is a reference implementation.
The internet standards group has a large number of voting members, but
they don't have the problem of OMG.  They always implement first and
standardize later, and I think that it one of their keys to success.

-Ralph Johnson