[openskills-dev] xine problem with fedora

Bruce Badger bbadger at openskills.com
Mon Dec 20 11:48:25 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 22:01, Jocelyn Habib wrote:
> Bruce Badger wrote:
> > Does /dev/em8300-0 exist?  If not, do you have the module loaded for the
> > em8300 device?
> no it does not exist

Hmmm.  I'm not sure if you are saying the /dev/ file does not exist, or
that the module does not exist, or both.

But it seems like you need to load the right module for this em8300,
whatever it is.  So, try some Googling looking for the module (driver)
for your hardware.  Then once you have the module in the right place in
/lib/modules, load it up with modprobe.  You should then see the device
in /dev/

Again, note this stuff is not really my bag & I am largely guessing.

BTW, a good trick is to physically examine the device for clues (model
numbers etc.) - this can help when searching Google for modules.

http://www.openskills.com