[openskills-dev] SkillsBase upgraded

Bruce Badger bbadger at openskills.com
Fri Oct 1 10:07:46 BST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 19:00, Daniel Noll wrote:
> > Skills may now be revoked. If a skill is a duplicate or inappropriate for
> > some other reason the system administrator can revoke it.
>
> Do people using revoked skills get notified as soon as it occurs?

Hopefully this will be a rare thing.  Before revoking a skill I expect
that there will be discussion here.  If there is a need to instantly
pull down a skill, I'll let the affected members know by email.

Even when a skill is revoked, existing links will remain.  They just
won't be publicly visible.  On your member home page, revoked skills
will be highlighted (in red with the current CSS).

At present, the system does not have a mechanism for sending email out
to members directly.

>   Also, if a
> skill is revoked due to being a duplicate, could the database be updated
> automatically to replace all of the uses of the duplicate to the correct
> skill?  (Like when a task is closed as a duplicate in Bugzilla, there
> subscribers get shifted over to the task it was marked a duplicate of.)

Hmmm, well, I guess there is some level of subjectivity here.  It may be
that if a skill is revoked the members who previously claimed that skill
may not agree on a single alternate skill.

On the basis that this will be a rare thing, I'm inclined to rely on me
sorting any issues out via email for now.  Then, if/when this becomes a
larger issue, we will have use-case data upon which base a solution.

Does this sound reasonable?

http://www.openskills.com