[openskills-dev] New OpenSkills Home Page

Bruce Badger bbadger at openskills.com
Fri Oct 1 13:08:21 BST 2004

Thanks for all the feedback Patrick.  Great ideas.  I'm going to deal
with one point at a time, and one point per email.

First: Searching by string

The string search simply looks through the skills in the tree for the
first one that matches the given string.  So, it's not searching for
members on the basis of the string, only for skills.  Once it has the
first skill hit, it just does a regular search on that skill.

The reason this was added was specifically to support the search box on
the OpenSkills home page to boost people into the SkillsBase:
	http://www.openskill.com

Once on the SkillsBase pages, the intent is that people use the regular
search mechanism.

Patrick, you suggest that we add the string search as a search method
accessible via the SkillsBase pages.

The thing is, you can already search the skill names on the search page
using the built-in tools on your browser.  For example, if you are
looking for "linux" like skills, and you are using Firefox:
	o Press the slash key "/"
	o Type "linux" (the browser shows the next linux occurrence)
	o Type <ctl>+g for the next

Also, we are working on getting some local mechanisms set up using ECMA
script like this:

  o http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/mktree/
  o http://www.treeview.net/treemenu/3fr_largetree.html

These will make the skills tree easier to handle, and should make it
locally searchable too.  Locally being the key.  Given that the client
has all the data at hand, it would be good if the work could happen
there rather than bothering the server.

Would this give you the kind of thing you're looking for?

http://www.openskills.com