[openskills-dev] New OpenSkills Home Page

Bruce Badger bbadger at openskills.com
Sat Oct 2 12:49:56 BST 2004

... and lastly

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 20:43, Patrick Lesslie wrote:

> There are other structures that might work well too, apart from the
> tree structure.  For example, when a skill is added, it could be
> linked with other skills to form a web, and then any node could be
> used as a starting point from which to search.  This might also
> help with problems of the "who is the real parent of this skill"
> variety.  I don't know how it would work with the XML spec though ;-)

Ah yes, the old multiple inheritance (MI) chestnut.

In my experience network data structures are just much harder to
understand and harder to manage than trees.  It may appear to make some
specific situations easier, but it tends to make the general situation
much more complex.

I'm not able to come up with a clinching argument against MI in the
abstract, so I guess this must remain as a possibility for the future.

But, what I would ask is that any argument *for* MI in the SkillBase
skills tree be made using a concrete, real-world, non fabricated
example.

Patrick, if you come across such an example, I really would love to see
it.

Many thanks again for your thoughts and ideas.

http://www.openskills.com