[openskills-dev] New OpenSkills Home Page

Daniel Noll daniel at noll.id.au
Sun Oct 3 13:27:56 BST 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 20:43, Patrick Lesslie wrote:
> There are other structures that might work well too, apart from the
> tree structure.  For example, when a skill is added, it could be
> linked with other skills to form a web, and then any node could be
> used as a starting point from which to search.  This might also
> help with problems of the "who is the real parent of this skill"
> variety.  I don't know how it would work with the XML spec though ;-)

Actually, XML has ID and IDREF typed attributes for just this purpose.  The
real trick is in the presentation of the skills graph to the user, so that
they don't get overwhelmed.

We could overlay something like this over the tree... kind of a "related"
association from Skill ID to Skill ID.  Then we can just query on that table
when displaying any search result.

So it would essentially show:

    Showing people with skill: Java [may not be exactly what they typed]
    Related skills: J2EE, J2ME, [etc.]

...and of course hyperlinks to searches on the related searches on each
keyword.

Daniel