[openskills-dev] Another constitution question

Bruce Badger bbadger at openskills.com
Mon Oct 25 10:04:31 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 17:31, Patrick Lesslie wrote:
> I noticed in the constitution that it defines a "Special Resolution" as
>
>   A resolution passed by at least three-quarters of those
>   Members entitled to vote on that resolution.
>
> I was wondering does that mean that under the proposed constitution,
> of all Members, (all of whom are presumably entitled to vote - is that
> right?) it would require three-quarters of them to cast a vote?  What
> if there were millions of Members?  It doesn't seem feasible.

Yes, 75%+ members must vote and 50%+ of those who vote must vote in
favour for an SGM resolution to pass.  This is the case in both the
existing association rules, and the constitution of the proposed company
limited by guarantee.

So, just to be clear, the 75%+ & 50%+ rule will apply no matter what the
outcome of the upcoming SGM.

... and this is a good thing.  It increases the chances that the
OpenSkills association will stay on target in the long run.  Fundamental
things should only change if the association (i.e. the members) really,
really want them to.

And as to the scale of administering this, yes, it's a big problem.  We
will need a really good system to handle the execution of AGMs, SGMs,
committee elections etc etc.  We have a good foundation for automating
all this, with every member having a known OpenPGP key, but it is just a
foundation.  Luckily, we have a bit of time before we need to handle
millions of members.  Maybe even a year or two, who knows? :-)

> And does it also mean that it means that if there were a enough votes
> from Members, then a majority of those votes would be required to pass
> the resolution?  I guess that makes sense.

Yes.  A simple majority, one we have enough votes.

All the best,
	Burce
http://www.openskills.com