[openskills-dev] Another constitution question

Daniel Noll daniel at noll.id.au
Mon Oct 25 12:12:08 BST 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:04, Bruce Badger wrote:
> And as to the scale of administering this, yes, it's a big problem.  We
> will need a really good system to handle the execution of AGMs, SGMs,
> committee elections etc etc.  We have a good foundation for automating
> all this, with every member having a known OpenPGP key, but it is just a
> foundation.  Luckily, we have a bit of time before we need to handle
> millions of members.  Maybe even a year or two, who knows? :-)

The Jabber Software Foundation have proxy voting available for their (much,
much fewer than 1 million) members.  Interestingly, they implement it using a
chatbot on Jabber which you talk to during a certain period before the
meeting if you know you won't make the meeting (the meetings are consistently
at around 4am Sydney time on a working day, so I never make the meetings, and
always have to proxy vote.)

They don't even use cryptographic verification... as long as the messages came
from "me", they are accepted.  That is to say, if someone could grab my
password somehow, they could log onto Jabber and proxy vote as me, without
any further verification.

Since we already have OpenPGP in place, I would say we're in far better stead
(at least, the user would have to steal your passphrase, _and_ your key.)  We
could even implement it using an IM bot as wel... but ours could require the
messages to be signed, assuming a client goes that far.  Email would be much
easier, of course.

Daniel/TX

P.S. as a sidenote, it seems that OpenPGP is rapidly falling out of favour for
use in Jabber/XMPP (RFC 3923 specifies S/MIME... oh, the horror.)