[openskills-dev] Another constitution question

Daniel Noll daniel at noll.id.au
Tue Oct 26 15:50:05 BST 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:58, Patrick Lesslie wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 07:20:06PM +1000, Daniel Noll wrote:
> > The email version... might just be procmail and a Perl script... pipe
> > through gpg to verify the signature, then grep for the magic formatting.
>
> I think that would be a neat system.
>
> Also I was forgetting the secret part of "secret ballot", and of course
> with lots of votes electronic counting is even more important.
>
> I think the toughest thing would be to guarantee the secrecy of the
> ballot.  Maybe the headers and signature could be stripped once the ID
> had been verified and crossed off.

If you need strip off the headers, you have to wonder what is left.  The
remaining document is not only identical to the original (and thus would
probably be misinterpreted in the same way when recounted by the same
program), but is also quite tamperable due to its new status as an unsigned
document.

Maybe as a measure for tamper-proofing the system, the same ballot should be
run through multiple programs.  Say, 10 programs, written by 10 different
OpenSkills members in order to implement the same specification.  That should
throw away the need for any recounting, so that the system can just firmly
store the totals and the list of people who have voted. :-)

TX