[openskills-dev] J2EE

Bruce Badger bbadger at openskills.com
Thu Sep 9 10:01:44 BST 2004

Andrew,

Interesting points.  I've responded to the list too - I hope this is OK.

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 13:59, Andrew Cowie wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 09:40 +1000, Bruce Badger wrote:
>
> > I suggest that we move J2EE to be a child of /Skill/IT/Library.
>
> Consider that it's not just "a" library, but rather a large framework of
> things, including [middleware] application servers, database
> connectivity libraries, objeect relational mapping tools, message
> passing layers, security frameworks, etc.

This may just be semantics.  I'm comfortable with the idea of "software
libraries", and I was thinking that J2EE could be thought of as one -
albeit a big one with sub-libraries.

It seems that there is no disagreement that J2EE should move from
/Skill/IT/Language/Java.  So, if not to /Skill/IT/Library, then where
should J2EE live instead?

> Incidentally, the same can be said of parts of .Net, and, while I don't
> consider .Net to be anywhere even remotely approaching the maturity or
> flexibility of J2EE, its marketing does proclaim its presence in the
> enterprise space.

Indeed.  Though, nobody has admitted to having any .Net skills yet :-/

http://www.openskills.com