[openskills-dev] server upgrades

Bruce Badger bbadger at openskills.com
Thu Jun 9 22:47:07 BST 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 13:22 +1000, ashley maher wrote:
> Now that  sarge is released it is time to upgrade the OpenSkills
> servers.
> I suggest an upgrade to Hoary.

All of our UML servers are hosted by Bytemark in the UK, and they
support three Linux distros:

http://www.bytemark.co.uk/hosting/virtualmachine/distros.html

We really should stick with the distros that our hosting company know
and will support.  So a first step before OpenSkills could consider
using Ubuntu is to have Bytemark support it as one of their options.

> Ubunutu has the advantage of being a close debian derivative, so we have
> continuity. With 6 month upgrade snapshots.

I would hope that we don't upgrade all of our servers every six months
even if we can!  I don't know what the right answer is, but I *do* agree
that something regular and predictable would be good - e.g. once per
year.

If nothing else, Debian stable has been *very* stable.  And that's no
bad thing.

Also (as Patrick mentioned), some of our servers have already been
successfully upgraded to sarge.  For those servers a move to Ubuntu
would be yet another transition.  I don't see a compelling reason to do
that.

We have heaps of variables in OpenSkills at the moment, and a list of
things to do much longer than the number of arms we have to help do
them.  I'd be reluctant to add an "upgrade all servers to Ubuntu"
project to the list unless we have a very compelling reason, a very firm
plan, and the commitment of an individual to own all aspects of the
migration on all servers and provide support to the admins of the
services running on those servers.

http://www.openskills.org/