[openskills-dev] Governance again

Bruce Badger bbadger at openskills.com
Tue Aug 15 12:33:52 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 21:53 +1200, Peter Bonney wrote:
> I haven't been involved in any of the governance, but my instinct is to favour the
> strategic board option.  Perhaps a way of encouraging this mindset would be to schedule
> board meetings less frequently (e.g., quarterly)?

Certainly the idea of a committee/board appealed to me.  It seemed to
send the right message, and to encourage involvement in the development
of OpenSkills.  In practise I've found the committee/board to be very
expensive in terms of time and energy.

So having lived with a board for a few years with different people
passing through and with different issues passing through too, I feel
that that it is slowing things down without adding much more that could
be obtained through open discussion ... which happens anyway mostly.

There is a saying: "In theory, theory and practise are the same.  In
practise, they're not".  How true.

I confess I'm inclining towards the suggestion of making OpenSkills a
private concern, while still operating as a non-profit and providing the
same services to guests subscribers and members.  How we can get to
that, I'm not so sure about.

http://www.openskills.org/