[openskills-dev] Transition to the SkillsTree

Bruce Badger bbadger at openskills.com
Tue Aug 28 07:06:29 BST 2007

lists at bespoke.homelinux.net wrote:

> May I suggest that with maps.google being so easily available,
> anyone can figure out their GPS coord to at least the nearest minute
> then provide an approx radius from there.
>
> To this end, if we are going to start building a place-names database
> into the skills tree then probably there should be space for lat/long
> somewhere in the record. I might also add that some place-name databases
> already exist... not sure what is available in the "free world" but I
> can look into that. Probably at least a list of major world cities
> wouldn't be too difficult to obtain.

The location tree schema is now in production in the SkillsBase and is
starting to grow.  Have a look here:

http://skillsbase.openskills.org/Private/LocationTree

There is a slot in the schema for a URL for each location.  At first I
was thinking that we would put a Google Maps URI in there, but then it
seemed to make more sense to put a Wikipedia link in there.

My reasoning is as follows:  The location tree is not really about
geography, it's about places that people work.  If I am thinking about
living and working somewhere a satellite view and street map would be
handy, but I would also want to know something of the nature of the
place.  Wikipedia provides both for every location we are likely to have
in the locations tree ... and if the Wikipedia is lacking a location, we
can add it. :-)

What do you think?