[openskills-dev] Transition to the SkillsTree

Bruce Badger bwbadger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 17:32:48 BST 2007

On 29/08/2007, Telford <lists at bespoke.homelinux.net> wrote:

> The idea of a geographic database is NOT to provide a means to discover
> GPS coords of any particular place. The idea is to be able to use the GPS
> coords as a search key and provide geometric search operations.
> For example, sort results by distance from home, or group the results
> around railway stations, bus depots, major roads, etc.

This sounds interesting and certainly goes beyond what I had in mind.
For this purpose I guess we would need to record accurate boundary
information for a location.

I confess that what I had in mind was relatively simplistic with
locations intentionally being the kind of fuzzy thing that gets
mentioned in resumes, and I imagined the location link being used for
a simple point ... but Wikipedia seems better having thought about it.

I would expect the more sophisticated physical information to be in
addition to the more fuzzy thing which then begs questions about
exactly what we would hold and how we would support the searching you
suggest.  I think this is one for the future, though :-]

http://www.openskills.org/