[smalltalk-central] squeak documentation project

Eric Winger eric at thewingers.net
Thu Sep 21 19:29:23 BST 2006

There's some talk on the squeak-dev list about organizing the squeak
docs. I mentioned that smalltalk-central is working toward a similar
aim concerning all flavors of smalltalk. Any thoughts from anyone here?

Here's a relevant part of the discussion:

------------

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 09:44:27AM -0700, Eric Winger wrote:
> This is one of the problems with Smalltalk in general, as I see it.
> There's a ton of documentation available on Smalltalk, not just Squeak.
> But when you're starting out, you don't want all that. You need a
> straight forward, single, starting point to get going.

That is what I hope to create.

> The stic group, through the smalltalk-central.com site is trying to
> centralize a lot of Smalltalk information into one place for people
> curious about Smalltalk.

Should the squeak documentation project focus it's efforts at
that site, rather than the Swiki?

> Right now, in the tutorials sections on smalltalk-central.com, there
> are inumerable tutorials on squeak and aspects of squeak. Where does a
> newbie start?
>
> It would be nice to get a squeak tutorial that is concise,
> well-written, well-formatted and designed for the beginner. If nothing
> else, so he doesn't have to wade through 50 tutorials to get started.

To begin, I want to create a comprehensive index of all existing
Squeak-applicable documentation. That way, we know what we can
plagiarize and what we will need to write from scratch. Of
course, I do not want to use someones work without permission,
but I do not know of a categorical index to all the available
documentation. I have created a template index, and I will begin
creating content there soon:

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5871

Once that progresses, we can obtain permission to use those
documents that are available and re-create them in the form of a
comprehensive Squeak Reference Manual and a Tutorial. That is my
road map.

--
Matthew Fulmer