[smalltalk-central] Task list

Mark D. Roberts mroberts at cincom.com
Tue Sep 26 02:18:06 BST 2006

I'd like to begin assembling a task list for Smalltalk-Central. Here's
everything I can think of at the moment.

Your suggestions and comments would be helpful. At some point, I'd like to
find out what the members of this group are interesting in volunteering to do.

I. Content

There is no currently up-to-date FAQ for Smalltalk. This is an editorial
project that we sorely need to do. I have started by gathering the known
materials and placing them on a Wiki. James Robertson has made a first pass
over the page containing vendor info, bringing it more up to date. Much
more work is needed.

See: http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/VisualWorks/FAQ+in+Progress

(2) Language Guide
For the FAQ and the tutorials, we really need a "language guide" that
explains the syntax and semantics of the Smalltalk language. The various
dialects of Smalltalk also have proprietary extensions (special syntax for
expressing Arrays, pragmas, name spaces, etc.) and these need to be at
least partially documented as well. Again, there is information out there
but it's just scattered in a million different places.

(3) Getting Started Guide
We really need a good guide for noobs who want to get started. There are
various such documents scattered around the Internet, but most of them have
defects (oriented towards one dialect, out of date, or just too shallow). A
guide is needed to help noobs make a decision about which dialect to
choose, so that they have a good experience. For example, a lot of
commercial developers are pointed towards Squeak and then they have a
predictably negative experience. If they want to write commercial,
enterprise, or shrink-wrapped applications, they need to be directed
towards VisualWorks or Dolphin.

(4) Tutorials
We've been discussing this in another thread. To summarize: we need some
general tutorials that explain the language and basic concepts like the
image. Then, we need some specific tutorials for the various dialects. It
would be good to have a few different ones, written for different audiences
(noob, Java developer, etc.), and at several different levels. E.g.,
getting started with Smalltalk, and then more advanced topics.

(5) Screencasts
David is working on this. It would be good if we could document his process
so that others could easily make screencasts if they wish. Perhaps we could
make some templates for the title page, and then all the screencasts would
have a uniform style.

(6) Books and Articles
I am thinking of approaching Stephane Ducasse about locating his books page
on Smalltalk-Central. This would be a fair amount of work, but I think
worthwhile. Having this sort of resource on a community site instead of a
personal one would in itself do a lot to make Smalltalk seem alive and
well, not just some CS professor's personal hobby horse.

(7) Case Studies
We need case studies to show more concretely how Smalltalk is being used in
industry.

II. Smalltalk-Central

(1) Site Application
There is a long to-do list already for the site application. This includes
things like re-working all the pages to use CSS layouts, finishing loose
ends in the Shoji CMF, implementing support for developer projects (kind of
a mini source force, with a mechanism to read information about new
versions directly from a Store repository, etc).

I have been doing all of this work, but we really need at least one other
developer involved.