[smalltalk-central] Smalltalk-Central web application

Mark D. Roberts mroberts at cincom.com
Tue Sep 26 02:47:35 BST 2006

As promised, I have put some documentation on the Smalltalk-Central web
application on line. This is a first step to make it possible to get others
involved in development of the site app itself.

To recap: the web application is implemented using server pages in the
VisualWorks Application Server. The app is built on top of a CMF called
Shoji, implemented using the same technology along with OmniBase.

The background here is that four years ago I wanted a real CMF built in
Smalltalk. The rest of the world has figured out that CMFs are the way to
go for building web sites, with packages like Zope and Plone becoming
wildly popular. As usual, the Smalltalk community was lagging badly behind,
and Wikis are too primitive for building a serious CMS. Frustration being
the mother of invention, I studied a bunch of commercial solutions,
gathered my requirements, and started building one myself. I called it
"Shoji", after the paper screens used in Japan, the metaphor being a
screen/filter between outside and inside that provides attractive natural
light.