[smalltalk-central] Some thoughts about new tutorials

Eric Winger eric at thewingers.net
Tue Sep 26 16:52:24 BST 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 12:46 AM, Mark D. Roberts wrote:

> <snip>
>
>> The other big thing I see is how do we maintain these. I don't want
>> to see them get out of date as soon as they are written, because
>> screen shots suddenly go out of date. Ideas?
>
> Screen shots are usually good for 18-24 months. Speaking as one who
> has worked on documentation for a number of years, I don't think there
> is any simple solution to this. Somebody will have to just keep
> maintaining the tutorials, refreshing and revising as necessary to
> track future releases. There's no way around it.
>
> Aside from integrated documentation systems, there are no simple
> solutions. The Smalltalk community is just going to have to step up to
> the plate and get serious about this stuff.

Just a passing thought. I had envisioned that the tutorials would be
.pdf's or something like that, but maybe they can be just web pages.
Then the screen shots could be in a directory of images which could be
screen grabbed easily. Did you have any thoughts yet on what the
tutorial format would be?

eric