[smalltalk-central] Task list

David Buck david at simberon.com
Tue Sep 26 19:49:48 BST 2006

I agree that we should keep VA Smalltalk in our list of Smalltalks in
our screencasts and tutorials.  I think the list should be:

    VisualWorks
    VA Smalltalk
    Dolphin
    Squeak

If we remove the need for audio, then Wink can work fine so long as you
show the steps. If you select an item from the menu, show the menu, then
show the cursor over the item.  I'm seeing complaints about James'
screencasts that things seem to just pop up or mysteriously change
without explanation.

I understand your point about audio and I'm open to going either way
with it.  I feel that I can say more with audio than with text popup
boxes.  I don't think people like reading a lot of text. Audio makes you
feel like there's a real person there.

On the other hand, audio ties you to the computer at the speed of the
audio.  You can't pause it and come back to it later as easily as with
text popups.  It also makes the file sizes huge and restricts the
computers you can use to view the material.  I also find that watching
screencasts with audio tends to put me to sleep - maybe that's just me.

How do others feel about audio?

David