[smalltalk-central] content style

Mark D. Roberts mroberts at cincom.com
Thu Sep 28 14:25:54 BST 2006

At 09:14 PM 9/28/2006, Bob Nemec wrote:
>I’m wondering what y’all think about the style of posting on S-C.  I’ve
>tried to wrap each posting in a bit of commentary, similar to how James
>adds his take on content links.  Mark’s postings are more straight
>forward, with a title, short description and a link.
>
>Which is better?  Should we be adding editorial content, or just the
>facts?  Personally, I find the comments on sites like slash-dot useful

>and maybe a variety of styles would make the site more interesting.

My postings have just been mostly about events. I guess I just haven't felt
inspired enough this past month to be much more ambitious about writing
such things. So, don't take these laconic postings as a general indication
of how I think the front page should look. I agree that the slash-dot style
comments are useful and we should aspire to something more like that. All
of my time for S-C is going into the web application right now. Today, I
spent a few hours fixing some pages for the syndicator and converting more
pages to use Ajax.

>  Either way, I’d like to see more content.  Are we ready to start asking
> for community submissions?  That could get busy; hopefully there are
> enough active editors to not overwhelm anyone.

How about the task list? Are there no takers, then?

I don't feel that the site is quite ready for general community
submissions. The workflow mechanism needs some more tweaking. Originally,
it passed everything to the "editor" for triage. Later, I realized that it
would be better if each editor could just grab something out of submissions
and put it into workflow himself. This is not a big change but it still
needs to be done. Maybe another week or so of work and then we should test it.

I would also like to have a brief discussion about the editorial process. I
would like all submissions to be reviewed, and we should probably say a few
words about what we think a review entails. It's not very involved but I
think it would be good to at least discuss it. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks,