[smalltalk-central] Some thoughts about new tutorials

Eric Winger eric at thewingers.net
Fri Sep 29 03:14:12 BST 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 9:02 PM, Eric Winger wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2006, at 8:22 PM, Mark D. Roberts wrote:
>
>> At 12:05 PM 9/27/2006, Eric Winger wrote:
>>> I like Bruce's idea. This seems like a rather lengthy tutorial for a
>>> beginner. Perhaps we can chunk this down into some manageable
>>> pieces?
>>>
>>> Beginner tutorial (install and features)
>>> Introduce OO using the photo library as a rough guide
>>> Photo Library tutorial part I - build the models
>>> Photo Library tutorial part II - build the gui
>>> Photo Library tutorial part II - put on the web interface (seaside?)
>>> Photo Library tutorial part IV - store in GemStone.

In thinking about this a little bit. Is it really worth trying to link
to or maintain an install guide for any smalltalk? It seems that any
decent software is going to keep and maintain install instructions on
their website. So that begs the question, what does a beginner tutorial
include? Not sure a feature walkthrough really constitutes a tutorial.

Also, I think our VisualWorks documentation link should point to here

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?
content=documentation#vwdoc

rather than here:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/CincomSmalltalkWiki/